NYS SENATOR MARISOL Alcántara WILL CONTINUE TO FIGHT AND DELIVER FOR THE 31ST DISTRICT AND ALL NEW YORKERS.
MARISOL'S TEN POINT ACTION PLAN
Immigrant Rights --Dream Act
- Reproductive Rights--Comprehensive Contraceptive Coverage Act and Reproductive Health Act
- Health--New York Health Act
- Criminal Justice Reform--Cash Bail and Speedy Trial
- Voter Reform--Early voting, automatic registration, no excuse absentee ballot
- Affordable Housing--Vacancy decontrol, preferential rent loophole, and vacancy bonus
- Environment--Climate and Community Protection Act, Surplus Food Donation Act, prohibit oil and gas drilling in coastal areas
- Farmworkers Fair Labor Practices Act
- Campaign Finance Reform--Public financing system, punish undisclosed "self-dealing", close LLC loophole
- Gun Control--Prohibit bump stocks, establish extreme risk protection orders
When re-elected, Marisol Alcántara will:
ENSURE OUR IMMIGRANT RIGHTS
State government has a responsibility to ensure all New Yorkers, regardless of documentation, have access to a high quality education so they may reach their full potential.
Senator Alcántara will continue to fight for the passage of the DREAM ACT and work to remove educational barriers and advance opportunities for children of immigrants.
PROTECT OUR REPRODUCTIVE RIGHTS
The Trump administration has waged war on women’s reproductive health, rights and equality by placing regulatory barriers on women’s access to contraception.
Senator Alcántara will continue to fight for the passage of the Comprehensive Contraceptive Care Act and the Women’s Reproductive Health Act.
DELIVER FOR OUR HEALTH
More and more, New Yorkers are making medical decisions based on access and affordability, rather than the care they actually need, putting their lives at risk.
Senator Alcántara will continue to fight for the New York Health Act and a single payer healthcare system.
FIGHT FOR CRIMINAL JUSTICE REFORM
Jails continue to be filled with those among us who have the least resources and opportunities to succeed. Bail costs keep our neighbors and loved ones in detention, and prevent the possibility of intervention at the time when we know it’s needed most.
Senator Alcántara will build on the successful passage of Raise the Age, and fight to end to cash bail for those accused of nonviolent crimes and ensure people are not held in jail for a prolonged period while awaiting trial.
SUPPORT OUR VOTERS
New York State has outdated and complicated laws in place that cause low turnout in our local, state and national elections and prevents us from getting the representation we deserve.
Senator Alcántar will fight for the full Voter Reform legislative package including no excuse absentee ballots, early voting and automatic voter registration.
· Repeal vacancy decontrol, which currently allows for any vacated apartment that can be rented for at least $2,700 per month to fall out of rent control regulations.
· Close the preferential rent loophole, which allows for apartment rent rates at a preferential rent rate to be increased to market rate upon lease renewal. For example, a tenant’s preferential rent rate that is $1,150 per month can be increase to its market rate of $1,800 whenever the lease is up for renewal.
· Eliminate vacancy bonus, eliminate landlord’s ability to increase rents on vacant apartment by up to 20%. This bonus has often been reason for landlords to harass tenants out of their apartments.
· Climate and Community Protection Act to address and mitigate the impacts of climate change in New York State. She is a co-sponsor.
· Surplus Food Donations to Charitable Organizations Act encourages supermarkets to donate their food to charitable organizations in an effort to reduce food waste. She is the prime sponsor of this bill.
· Supports legislation that prohibits oil and natural gas drilling in New York’s coastal areas.
Farmworkers Fair Labor Practices Act
· Implements a 40-hour workweek for farmworkers with overtime pay and the right to collective bargaining.
Campaign Finance Reform
· Establish a Public Financing System for State Campaigns: Create an optional public financing system for state campaigns. Under this system, eligible contributions to candidates for statewide office up to $250 would be matched at the rate of $6 for every $1. Participating candidates could only receive donations of up to $2,000. Candidates who are unopposed in a general or special election may not receive public funds. All unspent public funds must be returned 30 days after the election.
· Prohibit and Punish Undisclosed ‘Self-Dealing’: Establish criminal penalties for public servants who steer public contracts or funds to help benefit themselves, their families, and/or their business interests.
· Close the LLC Loophole: Make Limited Liability Companies (LLCs) subject to the existing contribution limits for corporations. This bill would also increase transparency by requiring disclosure of the identity of individuals with membership interests in LLCs and attribute contributions to members of LLCs.
· Prohibit Bump Stocks and Mods That Increase Rate of Fire: Make it a Class D Felony to possess a bump stock. Bump stocks were utilized in the Las Vegas shooting, which increased the rate of fire and contributed to the high number of casualties.
· Establish Extreme Risk Protection Orders: Allow courts to issue an order that would seize or prohibit the sale of guns to individuals who are likely to act in ways that would result in serious harm to themselves or others.